Subject: [Leica] Warranty cards and Your Cheating Heart..........
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 8:56:24 -0500

Marc wrote:

> Your heirs may well feel differently, once you are dead and gone and
they
> begin to comprehend that your gear is worth a gazillion dollars.  YOU
ARE
> CHEATING YOUR WIDOW AND YOUR CHILDREN!  WE ARE WATCHING HOW YOU DEPRIVE
> YOUR OFFSPRING OF THEIR COLLEGE EDUCATIONS!

While a truly mint M-6 with box and cards may bring more money someday
than a plain mint one.  A  EX+ or EX with cards and box will not bring a
significant amount, if any additional funds upon it's sale.   Good grief,
for a while, you could buy a new M-6 cheaper from some dealers than a
used one in a box.  My guess is it's going to be a long time before the
M-6 has any collectible value.  I think people are going to continue to
search for and pay big bucks for  clean  M-2's M-3's and M-4's for a long
time.  There are a lot of M-3's still out there and it's truly a
collectible classic.  If you want an idea of what to expect, look what a
M-4 2 brings on the used market.   I wouldn't even start to get your
hopes up too much until they come out with M-7.  Besides, for all we
know, they could be producing M-6's for the next 20 years.   If you
really want it to be valuable, leave it sealed in the box.

If your widow and offspring are going to be dependent on the sale of your
Leica EQ after you die, you have failed miserably in your financial
planning and your priorities are way out of wack.  You better sell it all
now and invest in something that will provide.   I hope my daughter
learns to appreciate my life's work and photography.   I hope the last
thing she will want or need to do is sell my equipment.

If you are going to use M-6 on a regular basis,  I'd forget about it's
future value and just enjoy using it instead of worrying about how much
re-sale value that scratch just knocked off.  Collectors don't pay big
bucks for anything less than mint unless it's really rare and extremely
desirable.  Talk to any collector who owns a M2, M3, or M4,   they tell
you the M-6 is neither one.

But, hey, I've been right before.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio