Subject: Re: [Leica] non-leica lens rolecall
From: "T.Lavrakas" <lavrakas@matrix.ru>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 20:46:43 +0300

Dear Friends:

One of the pleasures of living in Russia is the opportunity to taste the
fruits of communism's disdain for the niceties of international patent
rights.  A few weeks back, I picked up a Jupiter-8 50mm f2 in 39mm screw
mount.  The Jupiter-8 is a copy to the Zeiss Sonnar, lovingly coated and
mounted in a nice black aluminum mount.  The glass is perfect, although
there appears to be oil all over the blades of the iris.  I asked the
salesman to explain this, and he gibbered something about "this lens was
made in Siberia, and stored in the cold, and this is a normal condition of
no consequence...." At this point my Russian gave out, as it always does
when the locals start lying to me.

Anyway, it was only $20, so I gave it a chance, and what a sweetheart it
turned out to be.  Anyone familiar with Zeiss lenses knows of what I speak
- - truly a great forgery.  And in spite of the garish green paint used on
the distance scale, I think it looks pretty cool on my M6.  My friend Anne
(who is Belgian, poor thing) thought otherwise:"Eet looks just as crappy as
zat camera.  How much did you pay for zat sing?"  Score one for the Red Dot
haters.  On the other hand, I had been teasing her all day re. her
country's hopes in the Olympic games: "I hear the Belgian Army team is
expected to win Gold in the rifle-throwing event," and so on.  So maybe she
was just feeling beeter, as she puts it.

There is much to amuse the photographer/tourist in Moscow.  By all means,
visit the art/souvenir/junk market held at Izmailovsky Park on weekends.
There are always a half-dozen or so camera dealers, and it's fake Leica
heaven, or hell, depending on your  perspective on this matter.  The
renowned 85mm f2 goes for about $120; the 20mm f5.6 runs between $150 and
$200.  Everything in the 35/50/135mm range goes for $25 or less (my lovely
little Industar-22 [50mm Elmar copy]  was $13).  The dealers can be
aggressive, so bring your poker face, be patient and act like you have
nuclear superiority in your trousers.  Remember, you won the Cold War.  On
the Novy Arbat, check out the Jupiter store: 40.5mm filters are practically
free, a FED 5C (the commie M6) goes for $30,  panoramic cameras are $350,
and the Kiev 88 with lens, magazine and prism finder goes for the same
money.  Loads of acquisitive fun for everyone - and there's one hour E6
processing available at the Kodak store on Tverskaya Street.

If you want to gain weight, catch a social disease, get clobbered by
falling ice, or buy  a cheap lense, then by all means, come to Russia.