Subject: Re: [Leica] FILL FLASH
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:20:13 -0800

Originally, Ernesto had requested some information regarding fill flash. I
cannot recall if the request was in regard to technique or equipment.  In
the following days I did not see much of a response and would like to offer
my suggestions.
BTW is there a data base where the LUG could file info provided by members
and other sources and accessible as needed?  It seems that some member are
annoyed when the same question appears often, maybe the database or
LUG-managed URL would be a useful
addition to reduce repetitious requests for information.
Joseph Codispoti

FILL FLASH

*The shutter speed is set to the maximum allowed by the synch capability of
the camera, or lower (depending on light level requirements).
*The lens opening is set for the highlight.
*The flash is set for the amount of desired fill in the shadow areas, or
contrast between highlight and shadow.

For example:
A side-lighted or back-lighted scene requires an exposure of 1/100 (1/125)
sec at f:8
The top synch speed for the camera is 1/50 sec.
The camera setting will be 1/50 sec at f:11.0
If the desired ratio between  highlight and shadow is 1:2, the flash is set
to f:16; for a ratio of 1:4 the setting would be f:22
Depending on the flash, the setting can be made for manual or automatic
mode.

Which flash for fill?
Many brands can deliver good results.  Some flashes are very sophisticated,
especially the dedicated models.
I have used the latter as well as Metz.  In the end I decided that the best
for the money is the Vivitar 285.  This is a venerable unit introduced in
the seventies (I think).  It is very accurate, very reliable, it can operate
on 4-AA alkaline or Nicad cells, AC or an optional power pack. The basic
unit costs about $85.
Some Leica owners may shudder at the thought of Vivitar atop their M6.
Perhaps those could change the name on the flash to a trendier one and bank
the savings.