Subject: Re: [Leica] Gray Market/Cheap in Asia
From: Dooley <dooley@iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 03:51:28 +0800

This business of Leica warranties is confusing me.  What happens if I buy an M6
here (Australia) and then go  away to the US where it breaks down.  Would Leica
USA refuse to fix it because it is a grey market import?

Although I dont expect this to happen, I am thinking of buying an M6 in Hong
Kong.  A new Leica M6 here costs $4500Aus, which is about $3000US.  Price
variation between countries I can understand, but this is ridiculous.  (Another
reason I dont want to buy here is because the only new M6 I know of has a 1993
serial number.  I don't call 5 years old new, even if it hasn't been used.)
Imagine an M6 sitting around unused for this long!  A travesty.

Sean