Subject: [Leica] Re: "Aging" & T-Max v. Tri-X
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:41:21 -0500

At 05:06 PM 3/18/98 -0500, you wrote: <br>
Two questions regarding your recent LUG posts - <br>
You mention &quot;aging&quot; in regard to the &quot;pro&quot; v
&quot;amature&quot; films. Aging for what, temperature stability? <br>
And, you note that you use T-Max. Why that rather than Tri-X? While the
grain is certainly finer, don't you find it flater? <br>
Thanks for your time. And, not that you don't know it, but the images at
your sights are really terrific. <br>
B. D. Colen <br>
Hi, B.D. -<br>
Film manufacturers make most films with the idea that they will be
sitting around on a shelf or in a camera for months before they are used
so they are made to reach optimum quality and stability up to a year
after they are manufactured; however, they know that professionals will
use up film as soon as they get it.&nbsp; Most film that is designated as
&quot;professional&quot; has been chemically aged so that it is ready to
use as soon as you buy it.&nbsp;&nbsp; That's why professional film
should be refrigerated so it won't age more.<br>
I used Tri-X until I experimented with T-Max for quite awhile.&nbsp;
T-Max is more pushable.&nbsp; I can expose it anywhere from 200 to 3200
and get good results.&nbsp; I most often expose it at 800 and Tri-X at
800 is just too contrasty and grainy for me.&nbsp; If I could photograph
at 200 all the time, I would definately use Tri-X.&nbsp; Hope this
helps.&nbsp;&nbsp; Tina<br>
<BR>
&lt;<a href="http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm" EUDORA=AUTOURL>http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm</a>&gt;