Subject: Re: [Leica] Velvia vs. Provia - what's the verdict?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:38:40 -0800

Five Senses Productions wrote:

> Yes, Astia is my favorite people film by Fuji.  Skin tones are very
> accurate and grain is very fine for a 100 speed film.  Rating at 80
> is a nice touch.

Francesco,
As you must know, Astia is Fuji's response to E100.  I find the film
washed out compared to E100S/SW, but that may be taste.  Also, film
rating, I am beginning to believe in my growing age and wisdom, has more
to do with which lab you use (on which day, too) than it does with some
baseline from the manufacturer.  Many labs underdevelop E6 because it is
safer than overdeveloping and making results too light.  At Chrome and
Chromacolor in San Diego, 80 is a good ASA to use. Or shoot norman and
do a 1/2 stop push to get a bit more sparkle.   For A&I in LA or
Ivey-Seawright in Seattle, 100 ASA is good and 80 will leave you
overexposed.  Trust me!!!

donal
- --
Donal Philby