Subject: [Leica] Old Leica books
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:41:28 -0800

LUGnuts:

Today on a mission to help Harrison convert (we are talking religion
here, yes?) a Canon lens to a Leica, I had a pretty exciting afternoon
of history.

I again visited my friend Helmut Moeller who began as an apprentice at
Leitz in Wetzlar in 1949.  I am going to write up some of his memories
of that time in a day or two to share, but for now a couple tid bits
that should make Leica collectors turn Fuji green with envy. I suspect.

These are books.  Upon his arriving at Wetzlar he was given a history of
Leitz.  It is perfectly preserved with numerous photos of the
personalities who have made the companies.

Then a book of remarkable beautiful and clear and contrasty and sharp
reproductions of photos of the factory and people at work.

And then a real prize--a 70th birthday conmemmorative book about Ernst
Leitz.  Many pictures of celebrations and ceremonies honoring Mr. Leitz
with him in the company of SS troopers and others wearingthe arm bands
and through it all Mr. Leitz looking rather sad and slumped and dour
while everyone else was beaming.

Helmut tells me that the connection of Leitz with the US before the war
may have had bearing on the fact that other than a couple of stray bombs
that fell harmlessly on the factory grounds, that the factory was never
damaged.  Though Ack-ack guns were mounted on the factory roof.  Of
course, the factory was surrounded with POW camps with giant red crosses
that could be seen from the air.

Another time I will get the names of the books down on paper for those
interested.  He also has in his files Leitz catalogs and instruction
books going back to 1915, most in pristine conditions.  He also has a
full file drawer of Zeiss material, too.  But said some time back he put
the Zeiss and Leitz in separate file cabinets and that since then the
turmoil has died down inside the drawers.

Helmut, whose father was a Lutheran minister, was discussing Calvanist
work ethic with Harrison's big Canon lens and poking his finger in the
little end when I left.   At least the lens is white.  Who knows what a
couple red dots might do?

donal
- --
Donal Philby