Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Vario-Apo-Elmarit 70-180 vs. Vario-Elmar 105-280
From: TEX WORKER <TEXWORKER@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 10:34:15 EST

Pascal,
I returned from the anarctica in December and on that trip I used the R8 and
the F2.8 70-180.   I was extremely happy,  BUT it is necessary to use a
tripod.

Got back last week from Turkey and Greece and on that trip I used the R8 and
F4 35-70.  The Film will be back Monday.

On both trips I used Kodachrome 64.  Everything was fine except the R8 that
has all of sudden begun to act up.  In all modes the F stop does not read out
in the viewfinder unless I remove lens and play with the lever that conects
the cam on the lens to the internal mechanism on the camera.  Camera is on the
way to Leica with a curse note mentioning this is the second time the body has
been back.

By the way carrying the 70-180 down south is the thing that promted me to
puchase the 35-70.   I owned the other 35-70(F 3.5) but I did not like the
feel of the lens in my hand.  The F4 35-70 has a much better balance.  I also
own but have not used recentley the F2.8 !00 apo.  That lens I really love,
but I have been looking for a zoom that I can live with.

Clifton