Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Vario-Apo-Elmarit 70-180 "these foolish things"
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.u-nancy.fr>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:21:26 +0100

A 12:51 22/03/98 +0100, vous avez =E9crit :
>On 21-03-1998 20:46 Dominique PELLISSIER wrote:
>>
>>I quite understand your importer. The price of these items is absolutel=
>>foolish and having one in stock is too costly if he aims a good managem=
ent
>>of the stock.
>
>Dominique,
>
>Are you suggesting I should buy such, as you say "foolishly" expensive,=20
>lens blindly, without even actually having held one in my hand together=20
>with the R8 body? This would be "foolish" and financially irresponsible=20
>behavior IMHO :-) Or maybe you're suggesting that in any event it would=20
>be foolish to spend so much money on any lens?

Pascal,

Maybe my thought was not clear. Yes, your third interpretation is the exa=
ct
one. I think Leica is sometimes "foolish"(in french I would say even
"dingue")with its price policy. A negative commercial effect appears : th=
"foolish" price of items such as the vario 70-180 leads the consumers, wh=
just stick around Leica and hesitate with Canon or Nikon, to run away. So
the Leica importer in Belgium is right.
For 5000 USD (in France : 38000 FRF), I prefer to buy a Nikon F5 with an
autofocus zoom 2.8/80-200 and with the money saved, I'll buy Leica shares=

Dominique