Subject: [Leica] SCALA, etc.
From: "Dale R. Reed" <dale-reed@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:07:17 -0800

Just received my first roll of processed B&W slides from
http://www.mainphoto.com/ .  Only glanced(4x loupe and light box) at
them with Katy but the photos of our little one week old sleeping
grandson are just wonderful.

Much more interesting than the color prints and color slides we took the
same day.  Can hardly wait to see these B&W slides on the big screen
when it gets dark tonight.

The cost of the film and processing are not a big deal.  But the
shipping is prohibitive. UPS effectively doubles the cost.  I will ask
about mailers.

Maybe some of the other B&W print films you LUGers have recommended will
be good enough for my purposes.  I think it is the dynamic range from
dark to light that makes these photographs so satisfying to me.   And
not being distracted by the colors.

And maybe not having to wait around for the sun to shine to obtain
interesting photographs.  If any of you have lived in Seattle, that can
mean a lot of waiting.

It was raining yesterday, it is raining right now, it will be raining
tomorrow.  I carry my Leica hung around my neck underneath my zipped
Gortex parka.  And the other lenses, etc. in an old but mostly
waterproof day pack on my back.

By the way, don't leave your equipment in a pack with wet clothes when
traversing different altitudes and temperatures.  I did that once with
my Leitz(complete with red dot) binoculars requiring them to be opened
up, dried out and sealed back up because of the water trapped inside.

And some of you are correct about not paying that much attention to
protecting the lens.  Those binoculars do not have a case, have the
black paint worn off indicating some rough usage but the glass and their
operation is just fine.  But, as a couple of you said, I think it would
be very important not to get any grit in the joint between the removable
lens and the camera body.        Dale
- --
$  dale-reed@worldnet.att.net   Seattle, Washington U.S.A.  $