Subject: Re: [Leica]Cheap Travel
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 08:22:29 -0500

At 08:56 PM 3/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Tina,
>
>Tell me about Honduras.  Not just the cheap places, but what it's like.  The
>people, scenery, food, culture, ambience, etc.
>
>Bruce S.
>
>ps.  You may have missed your calling.  You have great writing ability.

Hi, Bruce,

I was being a little facetious when I mentioned cheap places in Honduras.
A trip to rural Honduras is like going back in time about 200 years.  I
walk for miles through mountain and jungle trails to stay with large
families crowded into one-room shacks with dirt floors, no running water,
and no electricity.  Our meals are beans and tortillas, beans and
tortillas, and beans and tortillas.  I usually come back with internal and
external parasites.  And I love it.  The people are wonderful.  Having
almost nothing material, they would give you everything they have and share
their last bean with you.  The countryside is beautiful and ranges from
hills covered in pines that look just like South Carolina to rainforest,
jungle, mountains, and unmapped swamp land.  The city of Tegucigalpa is
like a big city in any third-world country.  It has Wendy's, McDonald's,
and Pizza Hut, terrible pollution, crowded streets, impossible traffic, and
desperately poor people.  I get out of the city as soon as possible.  There
are two paved highways in Honduras - one going east and west and the other
north and south.  There are about seven indigenous groups left in the
country, but most people are mestizos (mixed blood).  There are also a lot
of refugees since Honduras has been surrounded by countries at war. If you
ever get a chance to go, take it.  I'll be going back in June and can't
wait.  Thanks for your comments!   Best - Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>