Subject: Re: [Leica] SCALA, etc.
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 08:41:43 -0800

Dale,

This is not about cost or chemistry. You must do a lot of printing to get
back your cost of the operation. Unless you are a pro and providing a lot
of prints it won't figure out. The chemistry really isn't so bad unless you
want to make it so. The real reason for a darkroom is the control and the
quality of the finished product.

When I was a pro I did send out the normal print making chores and everyone
was quite happy. But, when I wanted it done just right or for display,  I
did it myself.

You will find very few people who share your vision. Things come back from
the lab and they are OK but not quite what you had in mind. The cropping,
tone, contrast etc. is just not there. When you do your own lab work you
extend your vision to the end product where it counts.

Tina made a comment yesterday about spending time in the darkroom and I'm
sure there are a number of people on the LUG who can put this down in
better terms but the bottom line is that the darkroom work is the other
part of the equation that makes it whole.

At one time there was a rental darkroom operation in Seattle. It might be
worthwhile to check it out once or twice. We just moved and I hope to have
my lab up and running before the summer is done. By all means come on up at
that time and get your hands wet.

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA