Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters, Trivialities. IMHO
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:23:48 -0800

I find it amazing that so much passion could be aroused over  such
relatively unimportant issues.
Once a statement of fact is presented, why not let it be instead of trying
to prevail with point-counter point. If an individual chooses to use a
filter because he/she believes that it serves a certain function, than, let
that individual believe what he/she wants.  You can lead a horse to water…….
I do not use filters for "protection" because I happen to believe that any
additional optical device can only reduce the performance of the lens. Using
a filter is a compromise, a gambit, we give up a small degree of performance
in order to achieve some desired effect. However, I have seen lenses saved
from a nasty dent by the impact absorption properties of a cheap filter, and
I am very pleased when I buy a used lens which was protected by a filter for
the glass is free of scratches and cleaning marks.
As for "trivialities", yes, they can be boring, but as someone suggested
they serve to assess personalities, and what revealing personalities we are
treated to from time to time. Speaking of trivialities, the percentage of
use of one’s lenses has to take the Oscar for uselessness.  Next we should
report on percentage of time spent fondling our M6s while watching TV.
And now that I have dared express my opinion, let the onslaught begin.
Joseph Codispoti
San Luis Obispo