Subject: Re: [Leica] "Spectacular" R-lens?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:35:39 -0600

At 10:11 PM 3/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Say you bought an R-8 just for the spectacular 100mm Apo-Macro. (I'm asking
>on someone's behalf.) Now you want something wider. What is another "star"
>of the system? Is the 24mm design getting on in years -- Does it suffer
>from that? Any opinion sample would be welcome grist for ye olde mill.

The 24 is probably the "least" of the Leica R wide angles now. It's
certainly the oldest. That being said, it's a darn good lens. Built like
other Leica lenses, floating elements which means performance stays good a
close focusing distances. I've used one for quite some time. I won't buy
one now, because the 19 is such a superb lens, and the new 28 is much
better. But if you really want 24mm on an SLR, it's a pretty good lens.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I disagree with unanimity.