Subject: [Leica] lens caps
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:30:36 -0500

Luggers:

There's been much talk about filters and lens caps. I know, I've been
writing some of it. I'm not a filter user, but that's not the point.

Here's what I've learned. Before I start shooting I take caps off my lenses
and put the hoods on. If I'm working fast I also take off the back caps.
Then I put all the caps in a side pocket. I use a Domke bag with two 4
section inserts. I always have one or more open slots, and nothing in the
other slots but one lens with the hood attatched in each compartment.

I take a lens off the camera and slide it into an empty slot. I've
developed a way of putting it in so that my fingers slide along the edge of
the compartment until they hit the bottom. My fingers would feel another
lens if I hit a occupied pocket. If there's something in that pocket I put
it in another one without even looking. I take another lens out and put it
on the camera. It all takes a few seconds. The lens is going into an empty
nylon sleeve, and there nothing can happen to it.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, having avoided Duane's lens collisions, but I think
the luck is helped by having plenty of room in my bag and no stray stuff in
there.

No caps, no filters, and so far, no scratches or marks.

Tom