Subject: Re: [Leica] filter lunacy
From: "adrian bradshaw" <abpeking@public.bta.net.cn>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 09:34:43 +0000

Well I am back on my hobby horse - filters. Several people recommended
Harrison and Harrison as a good source for all kinds of filters and upon
contacting them I received an enormous fax list of their stock (and I live
in Shanghai so the phone bill for this is significant even for you lucky US
residents with ultra-cheap phone rates). 60mm was the issue earlier on and
it is again: I quote Mr Harrison -
"The one size in question would be a 60mm for Leica. We do not supply a DSI
in this size, but could fill your request with a series (VIII) 60mm screw-in
adapter and  series (VIII) drop in filter"

Er - no thanks since I have step rings up to my ears already. On which topic
I would heartily recommend Heliopan's step rings if anyone needs such
things: they are brass and tend to jam less often than the cheap aluminum
Japanese ones. I have their 60-62mm and a Kenko (aka Tokina, Hoya etc)
60-62mm. So the search goes on. By the way I just bought a bunch of B+W's
FLD 499 filters which seem particularly good in fluorescent situations - I
just shot in a genetic diagnostics lab and the Singapore Monetary Exchange
(both places where it was not practical to do color tests in advance of
shooting) and got great results on E100SW and E200.

I would be very happy if the 60mm size was abandoned immediately - failing
that I feel Leica owes it to us to produce and distribute a comprehensive
selection of filters in this size.