Subject: Re: [Leica] We're not alone - quality problems
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:12:57 -0500

Danny - Right and wrong. HCB was still shooting by the time Nikon became the King of Photo Journalism and he was still shooting with Leicas. The Leica is still the quietest, least intrusive, piece of quality photo equipment available - and, unlike the Nikon, it does not give you an instant of mirror blackout during what could be the decisive moment. Also, one of the primary advantages of the Leica is the ability to focus the wide angles with ease...even the 21 is a piece of cake. Having been a Nikon user, and still the user of an ancient F, I can say that for most of us, focusing a wide angle with reflex is a virtual impossibility - although, I know acurate focusing is less important than it is with a longer lens. I think if you'll look around, particularly looking back a few years, you'll find that most news shooters used their Leicas for the wide angles up to maybe a 50, and Nikons from 50 or 105 on....in terms of news work, that can be the perfect combination.