Subject: Re: [Leica] CL lens compatability
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 22:20:11 +0000

Ernest,

> which Leica lenses are or are not compatible with the
> CL either because of rear element extension or because of
> improper cam coupling?

- -None of the lenses below 24mm can be mounted.
- -It has been reported that the 24mm ASPH mounts and works well on the CL.
- -The first version M 28mm cannot mount but the versions since can (there's been 3
mountable versions, to current).
- -There have been conflicting reports on the older three versions of the 35/2 and old
35/1.4. Both have a rear element protection ring which should prevent mounting on the
CL, but some CL owners report that they've been able to use these lenses without
problems.
I don't know if the newest 35 ASPH lenses mount but the 1st version 35/1.4 Aspherical
has been said to work fine.
- - All of the 50's, save the Noct (which will mount but entirely blocks the RF), will
mount. The collapsible Elmars (90mm too) will hit the meter arm when collapsed. The
50/1.4 blocks a fair percentage of the view and blocks the RF window at close distances,
which causes a progressive loss of usable area, to nothing, on an already tiny RF patch.
- - The 75/1.4 and 90/2 (I suspect the 'fat' and modern Elmarit too) are scale focus only
but will mount.
- - The 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit (Canada) works very well but stresses the limits of the RF
baseline.
- -The 135's are beyond the RF's baseline range for accurate focus but will mount (though
the eyes on the 2.8 may make mounting impossible).

I think that covers it...

Danny Gonzalez