Subject: Re: [Leica] Got my Winder R8!!!!
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 00:02:25 -0500

John McLeod wrote:

<<<<If the winder makes that much difference, I can always trade my F5 to
Ted for his R8's.  Let's see Ted, at 8 frames per second vs. 2, that'll be
four of your R8's for this here F5 (driven only on weekends by my
grandmother)>>>>>>

John, Yeah right! :)

I wouldn't give up my R8's for anything, 8 or 80 frames a second! :) And
even if your grandmother blessed the F5. :)

I've had a winder in use for several weeks now and although I had no
problem with the R8 feel from the beginning, the winder makes it an even
better companion in hand.

The only thing I find that "might be increased" is the re-winding action. I
can hand re-wind faster, however the slightly slower action of the winder
is a bonus in the sense that, it doesn't drain the battery as quickly.

It is near silent in function and a blessing for anyone who normally used
motors on other versions of R Leicas.

If the motor (?) works as efficiently as the winder I'll be quite
satisfied.

Another function in the re-wind that is good for many photographers who
like the end of the leader left out, it automatically does this on re-wind
with an option to "flick" the re-wind button one more time and it sucks the
film completely into the cannister.

And the best thing of all is "the camera doesn't automatically re-wind as
soon as you trip frame 36"  as in the other manufacturers camera/motors.
This allows you to squeak a couple more frames off the end of the roll.

Although I see others have had some slight problem attaching the winder and
getting it to start, mine went on and ran immediately. But before I mounted
it, I cleaned both the eletronic contacts on the camera base plate and the
winder. Comes from experience of squeaking a few more life gasps from near
dead batteries.

I also assumed I had been using the camera in all kinds of conditions and
the contacts had to have developed some "guck" on them.

My suggestion for any new "winderites", even with brand new camera and
winder right out of the box, is a light rub with a clean cloth (hankie or
undershirt) and I bet it'll run as soon as you press the button.

ted