Subject: [Leica] Who me?
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 19:47:28 +0200

I've just realized that, in a terrible breach of of Netiquette, I
omitted to introduce myself prior to my first posting... ;-)

I'm a doktoral student at Link=F6ping University doing research on
visualization and usability-oriented systems development.  I used to
photograph a fair bit a number of years ago, including my own developing
and printing, but I found that my cameras where either too large (Nikon
F3) or didn't allow the lens to be changed (Konica Hexar).  So,
eventually I sold them.

Recently I've been toying with the idea of taking up photography again.
I'm in love with good B&W photography and I really enjoy printing my
own picutres.  Like many others I've dreamt of owning a Leica, but
until know this has been a financial impossibility.  However, I find
that nowadays, a second hand Leica M2 or M4 is just within reach.

So, I've ordered half a dozen books on Leica M cameras and joined the
LUG mailing list so that I will eventually be able to make the right
choice.

BTW -- Friday was the first time I came in close contact with a Leica.
I visited a second hand photo shop and got to finger an M3 and an M4-2.
I was surprised that they weighed as much as they did (though I suppose
that I shouldn't have been --- they are mechanical, after all).  But the
thing that sticks in my mind is the sheer and unadulterated feeling
of total quality.  Amazing.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying your posts and while I'll probably remain
a lurker for some time yet (at least until I have my first Leica and
can start contributing ;-) I'd appreciate any and all advice you might
have for the first time buyer of a manual rangefinder camera.

Regards,

M.

- -- =

Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     | Now fully
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Y2K compliant.
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho; ICQ 354739