Subject: Re: [Leica] shooting with long lenses
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 15:08:33 EST

<< Most people that complain about the quality of their lenses
 only need a better tripod (or even just a tripod) than
 another lens.  snip
 What is your experience with long teles? What focal length
 do you use for handheld shooting? Experiences with
 monopods? Are those gun- or pistol-grip gadgets of any use?
 What tripod to use for extreme teles?

Gerd, what you say is absolutely true in my opinion.  To me the use of a high
quality tripod is the most important single thing that one can do to improve
the sharpness of photographs.  The use of tripod is much more important than
the difference between most lenses.

However, I also note that there have been comments from some that a tripod
gets in the way and interfers with the process.  In some circumstances the
loss of sharpness from hand holding is more than offset by other factors.

That being said, I use a Gitzo 1228 with an Arca Swiss B1 ball head as my main
tripod.  I use this for lenses up to 400 mm.  I would not consider it adequate
for lenses longer than this.

Since sharpness is very important to me, I am conservative in shutter speed
selection.  For a 90 mm lens I try not to handhold at a shutter speed less
than 1/250.

I do not use my monopod very much.  I do not believe that the increase in
stability over handholding is more than one or maybe two stops.  Remember that
the monopod does not prevent lateral movement - only vertical movement.  Most
sports photographers who use the big glass use monopods because it allows them
to rest the weight on the monopod.

Tom Shea