Subject: Re: [Leica] Roman Holiday
From: Derek Zeanah <dzeanah@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 19:08:26 -0500

>I would welcome those that have been to Italy recently to
>describe what worked well for them and what did not and could have been
>left at home.  I'm almost tempted to replace the R system with a P&S to
>maximize traveling relatively unencumbered.

Was there last summer.  Carried a Photo Trekker pack filled with:
2 Bronica ETR's, with 75mm, 150mm, prism, WL, 3 backs
2 Canon SLR's, with 24mm, 50mm, 90mm, 70-210 f4
2 meters -- one spot, one incident
WAY too much film -- something like 40 rolls of 120, 60 rolls of 35mm (was
a 2 week trip)
Assorted other junk -- filters, cable releases, multiple backup batteries,
a flash or two, etc.

All told, the pack weighed about 47 lbs, according to American Airlines'
luggage scale.  No _way_ am I ever carrying that much stuff again.

Next time, it'll be 3 lenses (wide angle, normal, telephoto), a rangefinder
(still deciding between a G2 and  Leica -- love the Leica but right now the
G2 is much more intuitive, and I'll have to work receptions starting next
month with whatever I decide on), and a flash shoved way in the bottom of
my bag.  The bag will be just large enough to hold the kit, and I'll buy
the fast film when I get there (last time my Fuji 1600 got zapped pretty
bad by one of the 2 x-ray machines I had to go through).

Northern Italy was beautiful though.  I'm going back as soon as I can
afford it...

Derek Zeanah
PGP ID:   0x9EAFC818
PGP fingerprint =  67AE 1FAA 029A 59D3 EC10  4487 EF30 413C 9EAF C818