Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Slide vs.Print film for Scanning
From: "Craig W. Shier" <shier@mnsinc.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 19:45:29 -0500

When most people say "print film" they mean negative films used to
create prints.  Royal Gold is most definitely a color print film.
Kodak provides its definitions below:

Here is a quote from Kodak on web page:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/consumer/pictureTaking/choosingFilms/chosFi
l2.shtml

"There are a lot of different Kodak color films to choose from, but
all of them fall into one of two categories: color slide films (also
called transparency or reversal films) and color print (or negative)
films. Color slide films are direct positive films; that is, the film
that goes in your camera and the slides you get back are the same
film. With color print films, the film that goes in your camera is
processed to a negative that the processing lab enlarges into color
prints. "

I have some Photo CD scans from Provia and Royal Gold 100.  These are
both high contrast films but I believe the Provia is higher contrast.
This results in lost shadow detail for a normally exposed frame.

Additionally the operator of the scanner may have some discretion in
how a frame is scanned.  I have one slide in particular on Provia
which looks beautiful as a slide but the scan definitely lost detail a
sopt or two in the darker areas.  I suspect that scanners may have
some difficulty in distinguishing tones in the darker areas.  This
would make shadows more difficult to scan on slide and highlight more
difficult to scan for prints if this is true.

shier@mnsinc.com