Subject: Re: [Leica] Slide vs. Print film (25 to 100 speed) for quality
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 21:32:54 -0600

At 02:20 PM 3/29/98 -0800, you wrote:

>>Does anyone have experience with getting color negatives
>>scanned onto PhotoCD? I have always believed that slide film
>>was the best for getting the ultimate image quality in a scan,

Francesco,

You will find that with scanning, negative films are actually better. With
Photoshop you can make pictures that are incredible. You can make them look
exactly like what you saw when you took the picture. Color and saturation
can be better than with chrome film that's scanned, because the negative
can hold a wider range of tones than slides. And you can make negs glow
with that chrome look with the right touch in Photoshop.

The big problem comes with output. I have a dye-sub printer at work. Not
many people have access to such a fine machine. Unfortunately, I'm
restricted to about 8x12 inches.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Maniac: An early computer built by nuts...