Subject: Re: [Leica] Alastair s trip to Japan
From: LEICAMAN56 <LEICAMAN56@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 00:49:26 EST

Alastair,

Last couple trips I've taken, I have been using the following setup:

2 M6 Bodies
35/2 ASPH
35/1.4 ASPH
24/2.8 ASPH
50/2
90/2.8 Elmarit
Sunpack 121C Flash
Billingham Alice Bag

I use two bodies because I shoot chromes and color neg, or you could
substitute B&W.  If you're not shooting two different types of film, carry
just one M camera, but it's good insurance to have two bodies.  I use a 35
lens the most, so I have one for each body.  Nothing can touch the 35/1.4 ASPH
for image quality and great speed to boot.  Only problem with this lens is
size, weight and cost!  90 is about as long as I need, and the current 2.8 has
the best performance until the new 90/2 comes out.  Dragged a 135/4 to Europe
a few times, but never took it out of the bag.  The 90 is also smaller and
lighter than the 75, which makes a big difference at the end of a long day.
But, you could substitute the 75 for the 90.  The 75 is a superb lens, and
great for indoor portraits in low light. You could also substitute a 21 or 28
for the 24.  Tom A. claims the new 21 ASPH is another milestone lens, but I
haven't experienced this myself.  The 121C flash is small for the few times
you need a flash.  It also has a built in sync cord, so you can use it on
older M's without hot shoes.  Throw in 8-10 rolls of film, enough for at least
a day of busy shooting.  Take the rest of the film in another carry on bag.
The Alice is a new Billingham bag made especially for the M.  This combination
does everything I need with minimal size and weight - 10 lbs.
Took an R7 with 19, 28, 90, 180/3.4 & 2X to New Zealand two years ago.  R8
with 24, 50, 90 & 2X last summer along with M outfit.  Used the super wide
lenses and long teles a few times, but the size and weight penalties were too
much.  I ended up putting the R setup into secure lock-ups more times than I'd
like to admit, but I always carried the M outfit and used it 90% to about 10%
for the R.
The R is great for Macro, Sports and long tele work, but give me my M anytime
for travel!

Bill Rosauer