Subject: RE: [Leica] What Russian/east German len
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:30:00 +0000

I'm sure there are others who might answer this better, (Marc?) but I
understood there were (are?) up to 3 grades of lens production, the lowest
of which was reserved for 'internal' consumption, therefore the concept of
buying your lenses 'locally' might not be the best move...
Short of testing each item rapidly with replacement or money-back options I
can't think there are easy ways of picking a 'diamond' from a 'dud'.
Most of the Russian lenses have had good write-ups from varying reporters,
depending on what they've compared them to, or known previously.
'The Camera Collection' in London (44 171 831 6000, e-mail: classic
collection@leica.demon.co.uk) sells new Russian lenses for 69 UKP/GBP, maybe
that would be a safer way of ensuring the quality?
The list of what has been produced (and I've no idea of what is still being
made) is
20mm F5.6, + sep finder.
28mm F6.3
35mm F2.8
50mm F1.5
50mm F2 (and 2.8 and 3.5)
85mm F2
135mm F4
multiple (Zeiss type finder) for 28-135 lenses.
Jem