Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Meter Area
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 20:46:58 EST

In Eastland's book, he twice states that the area covered by the M6 meter is
13% of the frame area.  The Leica instruction book says the area is 23%.
Looking at the diagrams the area looks like the 23% figure is correct.  I
wondered if Eastland's book simply contained the same typo - twice.

In looking into this, I found that on page 9 of the special M6 edition of
Leica Fotografie it states that the "area amounts to approximately 13% of the
total image area."  What to think of that????

On page 10, however, it provides further discussion.  It says that the 13%
applies when the lens is focused at infinity.  When fosused at it closest
setting, the area is 23%.  So, I guess both statments are true.

For me, this actually seems like a good deal.  When I take more distant photos
I am more likely to want to meter a smaller portion of the image area (just my
style and what I like to shoot).  However, when focusing closer, I am more
likely to want to meter a wider area.  Another Leica benefit.

My question is why the area increased as the lens is focused closer ????

Tom Shea