Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Minilux
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:32:06 +0200

On 31-03-1998 17:00 ulrich.faber wrote:

>After selling my Nikon N90x (to heavy for every day and situation) I
>plan to buy a new camera. So I think about the Leica minilux. I heard
>from my dealer in town, that Leica will bring a new Model this year. Do
>anybody know anything about it ? Does any altenatives are better than a
>minilux.

I am unable to predict there will be a new Minilux this year, but what I
can tell you is that the current Minilux is said to be excellent
(especially its f/2.4 lens) but has one flaw: the scarcity of information
in the viewfinder (just a green and red light to tell you if everything
is OK, which gives a very cheap impression). No indications for shutter
speed, aperture or so on, which is unforgivable for such an expensive
camera. If you want to see the shutter speed, you have to withdraw you
eye from the camera and look at the top LCD screen!
I have the Nikon 35 Ti, and this one is at least as good as the Minilux.
Nikon's 3D matrix metering is unsurpassed (only center-weighed in the
Minilux) and also its flash capabilities (3D also - great for fill-in
flash). Lens is as sharp as Minilux though only f/2.8. One drawback
however: the viewfinder is a bit narrow and not too pleasant to look
through. On the other hand it displays all necessary functions.
I would say that qualitywise both are very equal. The Minilux is somewhat
boxy and bigger, while the Nikon has a retrolook you either like or not
(nearly a collector's item). Hope this helps.

Pascal
Belgium

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r