Subject: Re: [Leica] In Defense Of the Soviet/Post-Soviet Optical Industry
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 18:18:55 -0500

The Communist regimes were perfectly capable of producing quality products
- -- heck, the finest binoculars I have EVER used are the late CZJ 7x40 EDF
BGA's.  But quality control was problematic, and I have used SPS gear that
was junk, and gear that was quite finely made.

The mere fact that something is competently manufactured without a lot of
glitzy finish doesn't mean that it isn't functional, just that it isn't
glitzily finished.  SPS gear often LOOKS poorly finished, but much of it
works quite well.

I AM a strong anti-Communist and would almost certainly have not flourished
under that system.  But, what they did competently, they did competently.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!