Subject: [Leica] Off topic-Pittsburgh Weekend
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:46:23 -0800

My wife and I made a quick trip to Pittsburgh  PA over the weekend to see
her brother who was the featured soloist with the Pittsburgh Symphony. We
stayed over for a couple of days and did not return until last night. We
took some time to see the sights as I had never been to that part of the
country before.

Wondering through the old sections of the city with the M-6 and the new 21
mm aspherical was a delight. It has been years since I have had a lens with
the capabilities and coverage of this lens,  in a package I could hand
hold.  I did take a couple of other lenses with me but they hardly saw any
time out of my pocket. There was a time when I considered the 50 mm the
start of my long focus lenses ............. after using the 21 for the last
couple of months I find the 35 mm starting to take that role.  Maybe it is
just puppy love,  and I would never give up my 35 mm Summicron - I still
use it most of the time - but this new 21 mm is a remarkable piece of
glass.

Having lived outside of a city for a number of years,  it is easy to forget
how alive they can be. Normally, when I venture into Seattle, it is for a
particular job and I cannot wait to get out of town. Just following my
nose,  in a strange place,  with nothing specific on my mind,  was the most
fun I have had with a camera in a long time.  We all need to do this once
in awhile. When doing this kind of exploring,  the M series just has no
equal.

BTW .............. it was in the eighties all of the time we were in town
and they broke records that have been standing since the 1870's. I'm sure
that contributed to a great weekend. Yesterday we dropped down through the
clouds and landed in a misty, 48 degree Seattle!

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA
USA