Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica's inability to do better
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@jnlcom.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 11:51:37 -0500

Don't know about NG shooters and boxing, but I do know many pro photogs
who have had film nuked because the shutter malfunctioned.  One was an AP
shooter covering a top PGA golf turney and his F4 shutter never
opened...the mirror bounced up and down but the shutter stayed closed.
He could have been saved by the warning. The other photographer here at
Journal just got back from covering the Las Vegas NASCAR race and his
Nikon shutter mis-fired on every 3rd frame so he lost a lot of photos due
to shutter malfunction...he ordered an F5 yesterday (I could not convince
him to switch to Leica, the F5 price sent him into cardiac arrest;))

I personally like the features on the R8 and the lack of many of the auto
gimmicks.  I have always shot on full manual expsure and would prefer a
version of the R8 with only manual exposure methods, but keeping the
metering and flash metering capabilities.  I really wish the exposure
selection dial was harder to turn as I have accidentally switched modes
while shooting, I could tape it in place but I hate sticking tape on my
cameras. (I even leave the red dot hanging out for all to see on all my
Leicas!)

Dan Cardish wrote

>How often have National
>Geographic photographer lost pictures while covering world championship
>boxing matches (NG covers boxing???) due to shutters malfunctioning, and
>how many have been saved because of the new Nikon F5 shutter?

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto