Subject: Re: [Leica] used M lense suggestions
From: Shawn London <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 18:00:39 -0500

>I'm trying to decide which used M lense to buy.  I can only afford one,
>and I'm considering the 35/1.4, 35/2, and 50/2.  The 35/1.4 would be the
>most versatile.  I'm also planning a lot of low light shooting.  But they
>say the 35/2 is sharper (it's a little cheaper too). The 50/2 has
>excellent optics and it's the least expensive.  I'm also wondering how
>good the 35/1.4 Asph is.

I have the last generation non-asph 35mm summicron.  To be brief, I love
the lens.  It is compact, light, and is a great performer.  It is very
sharp and has good suppression of flare in adverse lighting conditions.
I have heard good things about the pre-asph 35mm summilux (read the
article on the LHSA web page), but understand that 1.4 should be
considered a reserve only.  The asph summilux (2nd ver) is supposed to be
outstanding, but pricey.

You might want to consider either of the 35mm lenses, because for
low-light use (especially if you buy a lens with f/2 as a max. aperture)
a 35mm lens is more handholdable than a 50mm lens.  For example, a 35mm
lens is usually handholdable at a shutter speed one stop slower a speed
than a 50mm lens, so a 35mm summicron is equivalent to a 50mm Summilux,
while the 35mm Summilux is as handholdable as a Noctilux, etc.

I also find the 35mm focal length more fun to use with an M6 (standard
finder).  Judging from the survery which circulated here last week, many
LUGers agree.