Subject: RE: [Leica] First Tri-Elmar available.
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 16:01:17 -0800

I had the opportunity this morning to handle a Tri-Elmar and shoot a few
frames outside Glazers Camera Supply in Seattle.  It is smaller than I
expected, but the focusing doesn't have the same silky feel as my other
Leica primes.  Also, the one I tried seemed defective -- the focal
length-switching ring was rough-feeling and the 50mm frame lines were only
"half-activated" when switching from 28 to 50mm.  Switching from 35 to 50mm
worked fine, however, and the correct frame lines were activated.  Focus
doesn't change when you switch focal lengths.

I shot some quick handheld frames of the side of a building at 1/250 at f8.
I also shot some at the same time with my 50mm Summicron 2.0.  It will be
interesting to see the results, however subjective.  We'll have to get Erwin
to do a more scientific test.

- --Jim Laurel