Subject: Re: [Leica] Spot Meter
From: omegaman <omegaman@shentel.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 10:51:55 -0500

Peter Goldberg wrote:

> Ian Stanley wrote:
>
> > At 10:14 AM 98-04-02 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Suggestions please:
> > >
> > >looking for a spot meter, ideally s/h, that meets the usual criteria of
> > >excellence, reliability and affordable.
> > >
> > >Peterg
> > >
> > Hello Peter,
> >
> >         I have tried quite a few light meters and the best I have found so far are
> > the Pentax digital meters that have been modified by Zone VI.  They are not
> > cheap - US$609.95 in the latest Calumet catalogue that I have - but if you
> > are interested in a linear and accurate spot meter this is the one to buy.
> > I have two of them and would not trade them for any other light meter
> > going.  For what it's worth.
> >
> > Ian Stanley
> >
> > Kathmandu, Nepal
>
> This is very helpful - when you say modified by Zone VI, I assume you mean calibrated
> to Zone VI ?
>
> TIA
> peterg
Peter:
I bought one of the Pentax modified digital meters when Fred Picker was
running Zone VI.  My recollection of the meter was that it had radical
modifications, such as different metering cells, some anti-refection
flocking, and other stuff.  Picker had the design done by Dr. Paul
Horowitz, a photographer and physicist at Harvard.  It was said to be
accurate within 1/6 of an f-stop and gave reliable readings of infrared
light.  It is indeed a very accurate meter. HOWEVER, my wife has an
unmodified Soligor 1 degree that gives the same readings in our informal
tests.
Randolph Carlisle