Subject: Re: [Leica] British <-> American translations
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 17:56:17 +0200

> Fr=E5n: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>

> And as long as I am on my soap box:  Two more words commonly misused:
>=20
> Donal Philby
> San Diego
> http://www.donalphilby.com

Here's another one   .......   SHOOT.
Its been fifteen years since I visited an English speaking country, so I
was amazed when i first subscribed to the LUG a few months ago to discove=
the prevelance of the word SHOOT for PHOTOGRAPH.  There was a wedding
photography thread running and I really thought I had stumbled on a kinky
mailing list when I read such things as  "I enjoy shooting kids in church=
,
especially when they are not looking."  Or another one "I shot the
bridegroom during the ceremony and the vicar objected that the flash
disturbed ..."   Or from another thread " ...on an outing with the local
gun club I successfully shot four rolls of fast film."  (not fast enough
apparantly).   The public perception of PJ's is probably based in part on
this machismo attitude to what should be after all a very gentle activity=
.=20
I wonder if lady photographers have also adopted this gung ho word or do
they still take photographs of their clients. =20

I can understand amatuers using this word to feel good in the locker room=
.=20
But I cannot understand a professional working photographer degrading his
art with verbal symbals of war, the hunt, and the firing range. =20
Here's another one.  " ..I told the secretary on the top floor that I was
here to shoot the CEO on behalf of the shareholders...."    Enough said. =
=20
Thanks for the loan of the soapbox, Donal.

Alan Hull