Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 13:50:30 -0700

It is true, as Erwin pointed out, that any meter reading should be
interpreted.  Even with hand held meters the final decision rests with the
photographer.

However, there is indeed merit for the latest advances in meter technology.
Especially for the photographer working in rapidly changing situations and
lighting conditions.  The artist photographing a still life, has ample time
to meter, interpret and consider all aspects of exposure.  The "action"
photographer, on the other hand, does not have that luxury.
The amateur, for the most part, does not have the knowledge to improve on
"matrix" metering or other systems.

So the argument that the latest advances in metering technology are "BS" and
"not needed" is moot.  If the public did not want it, Japan would not
produce it. If we did not clamor for "more, newer, and better", The Leica UR
would still be "le dernier cri". And yes I am glad that matrix metering has
replaced the selenium cell and all others in between.  If I want to I use
it.  If I feel macho and want to impress onlookers, I wet my index finger
and hold it up to the light to measure reflectance.

Joseph Codispoti