Subject: Re: [Leica] 2/90 R Summicron rumor
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 15:48:36 -0500

At 07:00 PM 4/5/98 +0200, you wrote:

>On the other hand, the R Leica pro's still have the 1.4/80 or APO 100
>mm. Maybe Solms wants to find out first, how the market accepts the R8 ?

It would leave a major hole in the R lens line. The 80 Summilux is too big
and heavy for many people, and the 100 Apo Macro is too slow for some work.
With nothing in between these two extremes, I just can't imagine Leica
doing this. There are lots of photographers who don't use the M system who
use the R system. And cancelling an R lens to boost sales of the M6HM
doesn't make sense to me for that reason. From the way people seem to be
dropping the 35 Summicron and Summilux Ms for the ASPH versions (notice how
many 35 Summicrons are for sale these days in used ads?) I'd bet Leica has
no worry at all that the 90 APO Summicron will sell well, or that us R
users won't snap up an R version as well.

As for the acceptance of the R8, it's seemingly already established by the
increase in sales of the R system since its introduction.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You'll get what's coming to you ... Unless mailed