Subject: Re: [Leica] British <-> American translations
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 18:48 +0100 (PDT)

Carl Socolow wrote:

> Actually, I find the phrase taking of a photograph idiomatically
> offensive. And I'm not singling out your usage of it, David, so please
> take no offense.
>
> I find the whole concept of taking a photo somewhat like stealing. I
> prefer to think of it as making a photograph. This way of phrasing it
> seems to be more inclusive of the creative process and doesn't limit it
> to just the photographer but the interaction of photographer and subject
> whoever them may be. (I sound like Oddmund).

I think this must be another example of different usage. I 'take' a cab,
or a bus, or the tube, and in none of those cases is it anything like
stealing (well, the tube prices are close to theft, considering the
service they provide, but it's not me doing the thieving).

When I ask the lady in the bakers for a loaf of bread, she offers me the
loaf and I 'take' it. For the verb 'to take' to include dishonesty, it
would need to be qualified as in "taking a vehicle without consent" (or
TWOCing as the light fingered members of British society call it).

So to take is to accept, rather than to remove, or possibly to 'gather
in', which latter usage seems to fit the model of picture taking rather
well.

            David Morton | "I've finally figured out what's wrong with
dmorton@journalist.co.uk | photography. It's a one-eyed man looking
   Islington, London, UK | through a little 'ole. Now, how much reality
      (+44) 171 272 8908 | can there be in that?" (David Hockney)