Subject: re: [Leica] Vertical shutter in a M-6, heresy
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 14:43:28 -0500

If you want a 1/250 sync, you need a vertical shutter.  While I would
like metal curtains in the M-6.  Would a good vertical shutter unit would
actually fit in the current M-6 shell. My understanding is that there
isn't space for extra electronics.   Besides that, it would destroy some
70 years of the Leitz shutter design tradition:  committing heresy by
collectors standards at least.

So what! Nikon "destroyed" some 30 years of horizontal shutter "tradition"
in their F line by going to a vertical shutter in the F4. And they've never
looked back.

I'm not saying that a vertical travel shutter is the right thing for the
M6. I don't know if it is. But let's not exclude the possibility of what
might be an improvement just because it's never been done.

And as for electronics, I believe the Contax G cameras have proven that in
the 1990s electronics can very much be made to fit an M-sized body.

Larry