Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering shade
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 23:14:44 -0400

John McLeod wrote:

<SNIP>

> I guess I have a question for the pros on the list.  If you are shooting neg
> film outside with mixed sun and clouds and you want shadow detail, how do
> you use your incident meters?  Do you simply shade the meter dome with your
> hand, or put the meter in shade, and take a reading, then shoot away?  Is
> the procedure essentially the same as with chrome film except now you're
> giving more weight to the shadow exposure, as opposed to the highlight
> exposure?
>
> John McLeod

John,

My tendency when shooting b&w is to meter the shadow, meter the
highlight and then use fuzzy logic with a bias toward the shadows. If
this lighting is consistent throughout the whole roll of film I'll pull
development so the highlights don't block up.

With color neg film I tend to meter the shadow and save the reading to
the memory of my Minolta IV meter. Then I meter the highlights and
memorize that also. Then I hit the average button and decide if that
seems right based on the other two. Hope this helps.

Carl S.
- --
Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.