Subject: Re: [Leica] Incidence Light Measurements
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 11:04:18 -0700

When I read the line that says "The gray card or 18% reading is the
'happy medium' before fine tuning and not the ultimate authority,
especially not in all situations" I think that an M6 with 1/3 stop fine
tuning rather than 1/2 stop fine tuning would be a welcome addition.
Do all of you agree?  That is one benefit of working with my R8.....1/3
stop increments.  Actually, you can even get finer than that.  You can
adjust the film speed a 1/3 and the M mode meter by 1/2 and get 1/6
tuning.....

At 09:29 AM 4/7/98 -0700, Joseph Codispoti wrote:
>You are definitely right Martin:
>
>For a "bunch of people" the only solution is the gray card or average
>reading. But that is only a compromise and one that cannot be circumvented
>in that situation. Think of it this way: A very light skinned person is one
>stop or more lighter than 18%. Conversely, a dark skinned person such as
>Native American or African American is one stop or so darker than 18%.
>Tha gray card or 18% reading is the "happy medium" before fine tuning and
>not the ultimate authority, especially not in all situations.
>The portrait photographer does not expose by 18% readings. At least not the
>accomplished portrait photographer.

>Some people are going to have skin which appears lighter and some are going
>to have skin that appears darker than the grey card.  Why shouldn't the
>exposure be the same for all of these!?  <<<<

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions
webmaster@5senses.com

http://www.5senses.com/