Subject: Re: [Leica] Apo and asph: pros and cons
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 23:51:44

At 06:32 08/04/98 -0500, you wrote:
>We have been excited for many months about the aspheric series of lenses for
>the Leica M and the apochromatic lenses for the Leica R.
>On the one hand, many improvements have been noted compared to the older
>designs. On the other hand, some users have commented on the extreme
>sharpness of the 100mm f2.8 Elmarit R that is a drawback in portraiture and
>the lack of "bokeh"  with the 35mm f1.4 Summilux M. Since most of us are
>interested in upgrading our photographic tools it would be interesting to
>hear from users as well as optics experts about the pros and cons of these
>new designs. I hope this will stimulate some timely discussion.
>regards, Andrew Jordan

I think this is a very good idea. Some of what I've read suggests that a
newer better lens is automatically better in a general way than its
predecessor because it is sharper, or something like that. My own feeling
is that it wasn't the resolution of fine detail that attracted me to Leica
lenses in the first place and by replacing the lenses I have with newer
designs I may actually lose some of what I like best about them! A sobering
thought. *Subjective* evaluations would be very welcome.

Joe Berenbaum