Subject: Re: [Leica] metering
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 21:32:54 -0700

A day or two ago, I wrote about the very basics of film sensitivity, and
it's calibration by Kodak (and others) to the 18% gray Rochester sky. These
basics simply told what the film/meter combo will produce under various
situations. This was simply the basics of what film sees and how it sees
it. What you do with this info is, of course, up to you. Read a zone system
book and learn where you want to place the metered 18% gray subject within
the zones. After looking at your scene, YOU have to determine the values of
the different areas in the scene. Since you know the meter reads in terms
of 18% gray, you can learn what to read with the meter, and what to do with
that information. Practice makes perfect.

Or you can do what the rest of us do. Turn the f/stop ring until both leds
light, then push the shutter release. Or when using my 4x5, hold the
incident meter up, point it at the camera, take reading, set the shutter
and f/stop, and push the cable release.

Jim