Subject: [Leica] Subjective lens impression (part 5)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:13:22 +0200

2/35 M Summicron:
The 35 Summicron was introduced in 1958; there are at least 4 versions
(1958, 1969, 1973, 1980). I have experiences with nr 2 and 4, I prefer
nr 4 (although nr 2 was a remarkable lens already). The lens shows its
best results between f 2.0 and f 8, and it's hard to define an optimum
f-stop (which is theoretically at f 4.0). Already at f 2.0 the lens
shows remarkable sharpness, and you have the impression that you
just change the DOF (and not the sharpness) when you decide for a
higher f-stop. Later you find out, that the lens is indeed more sharp,
i.e. at f 4.0, but you are so impressed by the total of it's rendition
at f 2.0, that you hardly realize the increase in sharpness at a first
glance. The sharpness is continuous between 1 m and infinity, and at
least one class better than in the 2/35 Nikkor with floating elements
(nr 2 is appr equal to the Nikkor). It's out-of-focus rendition is soft
(and beautiful), and almost as strong modeled as from the coll 2/50
Summicron. The color rendition compares to the 2/50 R Summicron (1-st
version) or 2/90 R Summicron (mine is from 1981), rich in shades; the
lens is able to handle even large contrasts (light and color) without
problems, but different than the Noctilux. While the Noctilux seems to
reduce or adapt strong light sources to its own standards, the 2/35
Summicron shows both, the brightness of the strong light and unchanged
(not influenced) colors in areas which are very close to the strong light
source (i.e. reflections of bright sun in water, and the color of the
water around the reflections). It's performance in low light is
remarkable with a tendencey to white-blue. It's a cold lens.

1.4/35 ASPH Summilux:
The ASPH version was introduced in 1994 (1990, "aspherical"); mine is
from 1996 and belongs to an M6 ESL. Different than the first version,
this lens' glass is pressed and has 1 asph surface (first: polished,
2 asph surfaces). It shows it's best results between f 1.4 and 5.6,
and between 0.7 and 10, 15 meters. I've never seen any 35 mm lens,
which is as sharp as this lens, even at f 1.4. The rendition of the
out-of-focus area is less pleasant, and rather disappointing to me
in comparison to the 4-th version 2/35 Summicron's rendition (when
I bought the camera/lens, I bought it becasue I was highly attracted
by it's design and shape - I'm still attracted, but ...). To me, the
out-of-focus rendition looks rather like a collection of colored/ painted
corns than a 3D or pictoral rendition of the unsharp (fore- and background)
areas. The richness in color rendition is equally impressing as the
shrapness of the lens, specially in low and very low light (i.e.
between f 1.4, 1/15, to f 2.8, 1/60, E100s). In my experience you need
a slide filme to really appreciate, what this lens does with low light
colors (a print film can't handle it). Above f 5.6, and at infinity (all
f-stops) my 2/35 Summcron (nr 4) was more sharp. The lens is a high
contrast lens; it's a neutral lens.

2/35 asph Summicron (short comment):
I've not used this lens, but I saw print film results (Fuji-something,
no Ciba- or Digiprint) from pictures Ferdinand sent to me. From what
I see in the pictures, the asph 2/35 Summicron compares to the nr 4
2/35 Summicron, except that the lens is as sharp as the 1.4/35 ASPH
Summilux between f 2.0 and f 4.0. The out-of-focus redition is as
beautiful as from the nr 4 version (2/35), except that it's more
contrasty.

continued ...

Alf

Alfred Breull