Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Eric's site & the LUG Gestapo
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:05:33 +0200

Stephen wrote:

> Well perhaps to you, but I still disagree that who took the shot should
> have anything to do with what the viewer feels about it.

Ah --- misunderstanding upon my part.  I thought you were talking about
the *viewers* credentials, contributions, mother, etc.

> To me each photograph should succeed or fail on it's own.

I'm inclined to agree.  Also, as has been stated elsewhere in this thread,
it may succeed or fail at the same time, to different people.  However,
I still maintain that it is interesting to learn *why* someone thinks a
particular photograph is good or not.  It allows me to view their comments
and the photograph and see if I learn anything from it or not.  Perhaps
I learn something about technique, perhaps about photographic history,
perhaps nothing at all.  At least I've been given the opportunity.  It
also forces the person who is providing the criticism to think about it.

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     | Now fully
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Y2K compliant.
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho