Subject: Re: [Leica] TC-DOF? Optical wizards?
From: "Art Searle" <w2nra@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:06:12 -0400

Hi David,

I'm no optical wizard but I do consider myself a math wizard.  The depth of
field of a 180 mm lens with a 2x converter is the same as a 360 prime.
Another interesting point about d.o.f. with the 2x converter is that you
use the d.o.f. scale for approximately 4 stops larger.  In other words if
you set the 180 with 2x converter at f/16 (f/8 per the lens setting) your
d.o.f. scale for f/4 would be accurate.  I'm not familiar with R lenses but
I'll bet it doesn't have f/4 on the d.o.f. scale.  So, if your 180 with 2x
at f/16 (f/8 per the lens setting) your total d.o.f. would be about 12
inches.

Art

P.S.  I'll bet sping is turning Annapolis into one big photo op about now.