Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar
From: edwardk9@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Edward Kowaleski)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:53:58 -0400 (EDT)

For what it is worth, here is a quick reaction to the TriElmar lens
compared to some prime lenses.

I purchased a TriElmar last weekend from Adray's in Dearborn, Mi.  I
quickly exposed one roll of Kodak Royal Gold 100 with a daughter holding
a gray card as the subject.  I took pics in bright sunlight from about
seven feet at f4,5.6,
& 8 using the TriElmar and then a 28mm 2.8 Elmarit (2nd Generation), 35 mm
Sumilux, and 50 mm Summicron (newest generation).  I printed 8 x 10 prints
of the f.5.6 exposures (time did not permit printing all the pics) using a
SuperChromega D and a 50mm Focotar-2 on Kodak F grade RA paper in a Durst
RCP40 ProcessoR.  I used a Color Star 3000 to determine exposure time
(kept f.8.0 on the Focotar-2) and filtration.  There was very little
variation in density or filtration when measuring both skin tone and gray
scale.  At least on 8x10 prints I can see no apparent differences in
sharpness or contrast.

Hope this helps.  Ed Kowaleski.