Subject: Re: [Leica] Good Pitchurs
From: John McLeod <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:36:09 +0000

Mike Johnston wrote:

"Man, I oughta ..."

Mike and others are concerned about the long posts on the LUG so I kept my
quote from him brief.  In any case, I want to thank you Mike for
articulating some fine thoughts and ideas.  I could never have put it so
well, but have also always thought that there are these two roads to
appreciating photos -- feeling them and learning about them.

I have pictures of my old apartment in Boston, and of an old girlfriend in
Boston (Holly was 25 then -- she died 3 years ago at age 37) that make tears
well up in my eyes every time.  Photography can literally capture that scene
or that moment.  The memory and emotion come back when we take that scene it
in.

And then there's the black and white print I made in the late '70s of a
simple stem and leaves highlighted against a dark background.  I thought
little of it at the time.  But I had a Japanese friend who said it made her
"feel peaceful".  I have since learned what she meant, and despite the fact
that this image receives few compliments from friends and family, I love
this photograph.  It calms me for some reason.

Thanks again.  What a wonderful post to the LUG Mike.

Now about that Don Chatterton.  First, his website didn't impress me at all.
 There aren't any photos on it for one thing.  And I hear he likes Oddmund.
My God, he probably likes the crappy bokeh on the new 35 Summilux Aspheric
too.  At least he uses a Leica though -- that Kuehl guy shoots, yes he
shoots (bang bang) with a Nikon.  And Eric, yo Eric, you started all this.
Just cuz Beamon's gone doesn't mean you should be such a rabble rouser.  One
last thing, your site Eric -- attend some school, and remember point the
camera AT the subject.  I saw that photo of you in a dress, on your own site
no less.  Have some self respect man.

John McLeod  ;-)