Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #304
From: Yods1 <Yods1@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 03:47:50 EDT

	I have to respectfully disagree with Eric Welch's assertion that he doesn't
practice art. He does, it's the kind that is appropriate for newspapers. I
doubt that he sets out every day intent making derivative pictures for fear of
producing something meaningful for his audience.
	The judging of the Pictures of the Year and Pulitzers, for example, are so
unpredictable and arbitrary as to almost constitute proof that these
photographs can't be anything but art. They're certainly not science...

	Also, as a newspaper photographer myself I'm uneasy with the glorification of
picture editors.
	Picture editors are usually necessary, but I think too often they prop
themselves up on other peoples' work. For example when they enter contests. I
understand that if there are to be picture editing contests they have to use
the published photographs that that editor "picked," but it sure does smack of
taking credit where it usually isn't due.
	It's almost as though the photographer's intent or interpretation is
irrelevant when the film hits the light table. There are few things more
frustrating to me than when a picture editor misses the story while exercising
their gift for editing ("either you're born with it or you're not," I've heard
one of my editors say).
	No disrespect meant to Eric--he sounds like a good, caring photographer and
editor. I only want to remind ourselves that it's the photographers who are
growing more experienced and wiser with each new day out in the field, and
it's our sweat and vision on that film.
Dave