Subject: [Leica] Re: De gustibus non est disputandum ?
From: Christian Becker <chribeck@mdc-berlin.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 18:38:04 +0100

Thank you Mike,
for explaining  what I shortened to '4)How could one define picture
quality? My simple answer is - by comparism.'(Digest 300), you've put it
into a more comprehensive way.

This is indeed the only direct method to evolve taste (art collectors
use this method extensively).
Possibly more important taste is influenced by education. And comparing
things is kind of self-education. Successful Art collectors are well
educated people, and because education needs time, very often elderly.
De gustibus non est disputandum? Not true. It should read: with less
educated people, who haven't seen/read/heard much, discussions about art
are needless. This includes the artist in many cases.

To prevent another row of ill-considered overreactions from the
Law-and-order fraction:
I DO NOT (NOT!!!) MEAN LUGGERS ARE UNDEREDUCATED OR DON'T KNOW MUCH.
But I do mean, if we use examples we should possibly extent from
Adams/Eisenstaedt/HCB/Salgado to, let's say Mary Allen Mark, Hans
Namuth, Mario Giacomelli, Bernd and Hilla Becher (just a few very well
known names...) or what you want.

Hope, I have again violated a very basic human issue, have been blunt -
because , Bob B., there is no better way to say it, and yes, I would say
this to father and mother.

Christian Becker